* indicates students supervised
- Khan, R. I.* & Ashraf, W. 2019. “Effects of ground wollastonite on cement hydration kinetics and strength development”, Construction and Building Materials, Volume 218, 150-161. Link
- Ashraf, W., Sahu, S., & Olek, J. 2019. “Phase evolution and strength development during carbonation of low-lime calcium silicate cement (CSC)”.Construction and Building Materials, Volume 210, 473-482. Link
- Ashraf, W., Glinicki, M. & Olek, J. 2018. “Statistical analysis and probabilistic design approach for freeze-thaw performance of ordinary portland cement concrete”, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 30(11). Link
- Ashraf, W., & Olek, J. 2018. “Carbonation activated binders from pure calcium silicates: Reaction kinetics and performance controlling factors”, Cement and Concrete Composites, 93, 85-98.Link
- Ashraf, W. 2018. “Microstructure of chemically activated of gamma-dicalcium silicate paste”, Construction and Building Materials, 185, 617 – 627. Link
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2018. “Elucidating the carbonation products of calcium silicates using multi-technique approach”, Journal of CO2 Utilization, 23, 61–74. Link
- Verian, K. P., Ashraf, W., and Cao, Y., 2018. “Properties of recycled concrete aggregate and their influences in new concrete production”, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 133, 30-49. Link
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Jain, J. 2017. “Microscopic features of carbonated calcium silicate paste and mortar”, Cement and Concrete Research, 100, 361 – 372. Link
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J. & Tian, N. 2016. “Multiscale characterization of carbonated wollastonite paste and application of homogenization schemes to predict its bulk elastic modulus”, Cement & Concrete Composites, 72, 284-298. Link
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2016. “Carbonation behavior of hydraulic and non-hydraulic calcium silicates: Potential of utilizing low- lime calcium silicates in cement-based materials”, Journal of Materials Science, 51(13), 6173 – 6191. Link
- Ashraf, W. & Tian, N. 2016. “Nanoindentation assisted investigation on the viscoelastic behavior of carbonated cementitious matrix: Influence of loading function”, Construction & Building Materials, 127, 904 – 917. Link
- Ashraf, W. 2016. “Carbonation of cement-based materials: Challenges and opportunities”, Construction & Building Materials, 120, 558 – 570. Link
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2013. “Laboratory scale investigation on the band gradations of aggregate for concrete”, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 25(11), 1776–1782.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2012. “Effects of aggregate gradation on water permeability of concrete”, Advanced Materials Research, 488-489, 248-252.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “Concrete property analysis with the perspective of 5-10-14-18 and 5-10-18-22 band gradation”, Applied Mechanics & Materials, 84–85, 101-105.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “A parametric study for assessing the relationship of coarseness factor and workability factor on concrete compressive strength”, International Journal of Civil & Structural Engineering, 1(4), 740-748.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Atakan, V. 2015. “Chemo-mechanical comparison of the carbonation and hydration reaction products of synthetic tricalcium silicate (C3S)”, In A.M. Brandt, M.A. Glinicki, J. Olek and C.K.Y. Leung (Eds.), Brittle Matrix Composites 11, Institute of Fundamental Technological Research, Poland, pp.11-21, ISBN: 978-83-89687-96-8. [presented as Keynote Lecture in the 11th International Symposium on Brittle Matrix Composites]
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Tian, N. 2015. “Nanomechanical characterization of the carbonated wollastonite system”, In K. Sobolev and S. P. Shah (Eds.), Nanotechnology in Construction, Springer, USA, pp. 71–77, ISBN: 978-3-319-17087-6.
- Olek, J., Janusz, A., Jain, J., & Ashraf, W. “Investigation of anti-icing chemicals and their interactions with pavement concretes”, Joint Transportation Research Program Technical Report No. FHWA/IN/JTRP-2013/24, Department of Transportation and Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Publications:
- Ashraf, W., Glinicki, M. A., Olek, J. 2018 “Probabilistic approach for composition selection of freeze-thaw resistant ordinary portland cement concrete, Proceedings of Transportation Research Board (TRB) 97th Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., January 7-11, 2018.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., Jeong, H., & Atakan, V. 2016 “Effects of high temperature on carbonated calcium silicate cement (CSC) and ordinary portland cement (OPC) paste”, Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS), Shenzhen, China, June 30 –Jul 1, 2016.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Atakan, V. 2016. “Carbonation reaction kinetics, CO2 sequestration capacity, and microstructure of hydraulic and non-hydraulic cementitious binders”, Proceedings of 4th international conference in Sustainable Construction Materials and Technologies (SCMT4), Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, August 7-11, 2016.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Atakan, V. 2015 “A comparative study on the reactivity of calcium silicates during hydration and carbonation reactions”, Proceedings of 14th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement (ICCC 2015), Beijing, China, October 13-16, 2015.
- Miller, A., Spragg, R., Antico, F., Ashraf, W., ….., Weiss, W. J. 2014. “Determining the moisture content of pre-wetted lightweight aggregate: Assessing the variability of the paper towel and centrifuge methods”, Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS), Indiana, USA, July 23 – 26, 2014.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “Contours in concrete mix design-a new approach”, Proceedings of Concrete 2011 – 25th Biennial Conference of Concrete Institute of Australia, Perth, Australia, October 12-14, 2011.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “An experimental comparative study on the effects of cement types on concrete properties”, Proceedings of 31st Cement and Concrete Science Conference, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom, September 12-13, 2011.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “Compatibility of 5-10-14-18 and 5-10-18-22 band gradations for required concrete properties”, Proceedings of Fib Symposium Prague 2011, Prague, Czech Republic, June 8-10, 2011.
- Ashraf, W. & Noor, M.A. 2011. “Performance-evaluation of concrete properties for different combined aggregate gradation approaches”, Proceedings of 12thEast Asia-Pacific Conference on Structural Engineering & Construction (EASEC 12), Hong Kong SAR, China, January 26 – 28, 2011.
- Sirisha, K.*, Ashraf, W., & Landis, E. 2018. “Development and Utilization of Silica-Cellulose nanocomposites for cement-based materials”, ACI Fall Convention, Las Vegas, USA, October 14 – 18, 2018.
- Saladi, N.* & Ashraf, W. “Pozzolanic properties of woody bio-ash”, ACI Fall Convention, Las Vegas, USA, October 14 – 18, 2018.
- Moradi, M., Ehmke, N.T., and Ashraf, W. 2018 “In-situ characterization of temperature-induced nano-structural changes of materials by nanoindentation”, Indentation 2018, Liege, Belgium, September 11-14, 2018.
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2016. “A multi-scale overview of carbonation activated non-hydraulic calcium silicate binder”, Anna Maria Workshop, Florida, USA, November 16-18, 2016.
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2016. “Understandings the performance controlling factors of the carbonate binders”, 7th Advances in Cement-based Materials Conference, Evanston, Illinois, USA, July 10-13, 2016.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., Atakan, V., & Sahu, S. 2016. “Low-lime calcium silicate-based cement (CSC): Microscopic phase evolution, reaction kinetics, and strength”, 7th Advances in Cement-based Materials Conference, Evanston, Illinois, USA, July 10-13, 2016.
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2016. “Properties of carbonation activated calcium silicate systems”, ACI 2016 Spring Convention, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA, April 16-21, 2016.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., & Atakan, V. 2015. “Carbonation behavior of hydraulic and non-hydraulic calcium silicates: potential of utilizing low-lime calcium silicates in cement-based materials”, ACI 2015 Fall Convention, Denver, Colorado, USA, November 8-12, 2015.
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2015. “Predicting macroscale elastic/viscoelastic properties of carbonated calcium silicate system from nanoindentation using Mori-Tanaka and self-consistent homogenization schemes”, Multiscale Modeling and 3D Printing of Cement Workshop, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, July 16-17, 2015.
- Ashraf, W. & Olek, J. 2014. “Microstructural phase identification of calcium-silicate cement pastes using nanoindentation techniques”, 5th Conference on Advances in Cement-based Materials: Characterization, Processing, Modeling and Sensing, Cookeville, Tennessee, USA, July 9-11, 2014.
- Ashraf, W. and Olek, J. 2014. “Relative volumes of microstructural phases in heterogeneous system as determined by nanoindentaion, X-ray elemental mapping and image analysis”, 4th International Conference on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS), West Lafayette, Indiana, USA, July 23 – 26, 2014. [Best poster award]
- Ashraf, W., Jeong, H., Olek, J. and Jain, J. 2014. “An experimental investigation of the selected properties of calcium silicate based carbonated concrete (CSCC) systems”, ACI Fall Convention 2014, Washington, DC, USA, October 26 – 30, 2014.
- Ashraf, W., Olek, J., Jain, J., and Seth, A., 2017 “Low-lime calcium silicate cement: Reaction products and their properties”, 8th Advances in Cement-based Materials, June 26-28, 2017, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia