Shaleen Jain, Ph.D., P.E.
Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Graduate Coordinator
Cooperating Associate Professor, Climate Change Institute
313 Boardman Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Ph.D. – Civil & Environmental Engineering
Utah State University, 2001.
M.S. – Civil & Environmental Engineering
Utah State University, 1998.
B.Tech. – Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, 1993.
CIE 455 Hydrology
CIE 598 Physical Hydrology
CIE 598 Quantitative Methods in Water Resources
CIE 598 Managing our Water Resources
Hydroclimatology, Environmental Flows, Climate Variability and Change, Hydrosystems Modeling, Adaptive Management and Decision Analysis.
- Melis, T. S., W. E. Pine, J. Korman, M. D. Yard, S. Jain, and R. S. Pulwarty (2016), Using large-scale flow experiments to rehabilitate Colorado River ecosystem function in Grand Canyon: an adaptive climate-resilient strategy. In K. Miller, A. Hamlet, D. Kenney and K. Redmond, eds. Western Water Policy and Planning in a Variable and Changing Climate, Drought and Water Crises: Science, Technology, Management, and Policy Issues for the 21st Century, Donald A. Wilhite (Series Editor), CRC Press – Taylor and Francis.
- Hart, D. D., K. P. Bell, L. A. Lindenfeld, S. Jain, T. R. Johnson, D. Ranco, and B. McGill (2015), Strengthening the role of universities in addressing sustainability challenges: the Mitchell Center for Sustainability Solutions as an institutional experiment. Ecology and Society, 20, 2. doi: 10.5751/ES-07283-200204
- Dhakal, N., S. Jain, A. Gray, M. Dandy, and E. Stancioff (2015), Nonstationarity in seasonality of extreme precipitation: A nonparametric circular statistical approach and its application, Water Resources Research, 51, 6, 4499–4515. doi:10.1002/2014WR016399.
- Wahl, T., S. Jain, J. Bender, S. D. Meyers, and M. E. Luther (2015), Increasing risk of compound flooding from storm surge and rainfall for major US cities. Nature Climate Change, 5, 1093–1097. doi:10.1038/nclimate2736
- Kim, J.-S., and S. Jain (2015), Wintertime High Flow Regime in Northern Maine, USA : A Hydroclimatic Diagnostic Study. Proceedings of the 18th Workshop on the Hydraulics of Ice Covered Rivers, Canadian Geophysical Union–Committee on River Ice Processes and the Environment. Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 19-21 August 2015.
- Westbaker, T., S. Jain, M. Scott & J. Arsenault (2012), Integrating Environmental Sustainability Education with Computational Thinking in a Montessori School Setting. In T. Amiel & B. Wilson (Eds.), Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2012 (pp. 500-506). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE).
- Sen Gupta, A., S. Jain, and J.-S. Kim (2011), Past climate, future perspective: An exploratory analysis using climate proxies and drought risk assessment to inform water resources management and policy in Maine, USA. Journal of Environmental Management, 92, 941-947. doi:10.1016/j.jenvman.2010.10.054
- Kim, J.-S., S. Jain, and Y.-I. Moon (2011), Atmospheric teleconnection-based conditional streamflow distributions for the Han River and its sub-watersheds in Korea. International Journal of Climatology. doi: 10.1002/joc.2374
- Kim, J.-S., and S. Jain (2011), Precipitation trends over the Korean peninsula: Typhoon-induced changes and a typology to characterize climate-related risk. Environmental Research Letters, 6 034033. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/6/3/034033
- Kim, J.-S., S. Jain, and S. A. Norton (2010), Streamflow variability and hydroclimatic change at the Bear Brook Watershed in Maine (BBWM), USA. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Volume 171, Numbers 1-4, 47-58, DOI: 10.1007/s10661-010-1525-1
- Kim, J.-S. and S. Jain (2010), High-resolution streamflow trend analysis applicable to annual decision calendars: A western United States case study. Climatic Change,102, 3-4, 699-707. doi:10.1007/s10584-010-9933-3
- Kim, J.-S., S. Jain, and S.-K. Yoon (2010), Warm season streamflow variability in the Korean Han River Basin: Links with atmospheric teleconnections. International Journal of Climatology, DOI: 10.1002/joc.2290
- Jain, S., and J. K. Eischeid (2008),What a difference a century makes: Understanding the changing hydrologic regime and storage requirements in the upper Colorado River basin. Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1029/2008GL034715.
- Jain, S., M. P. Hoerling, and J. Eischeid (2005), Decreasing reliability and increasing synchroneity of western North American streamflow. Journal of Climate, 18(5), 613-618.
- Jain, S., J. Eischeid, J., and R. Prasad (2003), Tailored Hydroclimatic Information for Water Resources Management in the Western United States. Proceedings of the ASCE World Water & Environmental Resources Congress 2003: pp. 1-9. doi: 10.1061/40685(2003)375
- Jain, S., C. A. Woodhouse, and M. P. Hoerling (2002), Multidecadal streamflow regimes in the interior western United States: Implications for the vulnerability of water resources. Geophysical Research Letters, 29(21), 2036, doi:10.1029/2001GL014278.
- Jain, S., and U. Lall (2001), Floods in a changing climate: Does the past represent the future?, Water Resour. Res., 37(12), 3193–3205, doi:10.1029/2001WR000495.
- Jain, S., and U. Lall (2000), Magnitude and timing of annual maximum floods: Trends and large-scale climatic associations for the Blacksmith Fork River, Utah, Water Resour. Res., 36(12), 3641–3651, doi:10.1029/2000WR900183.
- Jain, S., U. Lall, and M. E. Mann (1999), Seasonality and Interannual Variations of Northern Hemisphere Temperature: Equator-to-Pole Gradient and Ocean–Land Contrast. Journal of Climate, 12, 1086–1100.
For further research, access his webpage on the Climate Change Institute: