Roberto Lopez-Anido, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor of Civil & Environmental Engineering, Malcolm G. Long ’32 Professor
315B Boardman Hall
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Ph.D – Civil Engineering (Emphasis on Structures, Mechanics and Materials)
West Virginia University, 1995
Degree in Civil Engineering (equivalent to B.S. plus two years of Graduate Studies)
National University of Rosario, Argentina, 1985
CIE 340 Introduction to Structural Analysis
CIE 543 Introduction to Composite Materials in Civil Engineering
CIE 545 Structural Dynamics
CIE 547 Prestressed Concrete Structures
CIE 644 Advanced Composite Materials in Civil Engineering
Professor Lopez-Anido has over 22 years of experience in the areas of mechanics of fiber-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites for construction, durability analysis of composite materials, advanced experimental methods for composites, composites manufacturing, rehabilitation of civil infrastructure, design of composite structures, and structural health monitoring.
He is a research leader in FRP composites at UMaine’s Advanced Structures and Composites Center. He has produced 60 refereed journal publications, 89 conference publications, one book and 6 patents.
Current research work focuses on: a) Simulation of thermoplastic composites manufacturing processes; b) Experimental characterization and multi-scale modeling of 3D woven composites; c) Fatigue evaluation of bolted composite joints; d) Strain rate and temperature effects in polymer matrix composites; e) Analysis an design of pultruded composite structures; f) Joining of concrete-filled carbon composite tubes for bridge applications; g) Modeling of 3D printed materials by additive manufacturing; h) Durability of FRP composites for infrastructure and marine applications, and i) Experimental evaluation of cross-laminated timber products.
Areas of Expertise and Research:
- Williams, D.A., and Lopez-Anido, R.A. “Strain rate and temperature effects of polymer foam core material,” Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, 16(1): 66-87, 2014.
- Warren, K.C., Lopez-Anido, R.A., and Goering, J. “Experimental investigation of three-dimensional woven composites,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 73 (2015) 242–259.
- Warren, K.C., Lopez-Anido, R.A., and Goering, J. “Behavior of three-dimensional woven carbon composites in single-bolt bearing,” Composite Structures, 127 (2015) 175–184.
- Warren, K.C., Lopez-Anido, R.A., Vel, S.S., and Bayraktar, H.H. “Progressive Failure Analysis of Three-Dimensional Woven Carbon Composites in Single-Bolt, Double-Shear Bearing,” Composites Part B: Engineering, 84 (2016) 266–276 (Open Access).
- Berube, K., Lopez-Anido, R., and Goupee, A. “Determining the Flexural and Shear Moduli of Fiber Reinforced Polymer Composites using Three-Dimensional Digital Image Correlation,” Experimental Techniques, 40: 1263. doi:10.1007/s40799-016-0127-4 (2016).
- Warren, K.C., Lopez-Anido, R.A., Freund, A., and Dagher, H. “Resistance Welding of Glass Fiber Reinforced Polyethylene Terephthalate,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 35 (2016) 974-985.
- Davids, W.G., Willey, N., Lopez-Anido, R., Shaler, S., Gardner, D., Russell, E. and Tajvidi, M. “Structural performance of hybrid SPFs-LSL cross-laminated timber panels,” Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 149, No. 15, 156-163, 2017.
- Bhandari, S. and Lopez-Anido, R.A. “Finite element analysis of thermoplastic polymer extrusion 3D printed thermoplastic for mechanical property characterization,” Additive Manufacturing, 22, 187-196, 2018.
- Majeed, H.S., Davids, W.G., Lopez-Anido, R.A., Burns, J., and Rushing, T.S. “Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Splicing of Concrete-Filled Fiber Reinforced Polymer Tubes,” Construction and Building Materials, 173, 461-473, 2018.
- Tomlinson, S.M. and Lopez-Anido, R.A. “Scale and Manufacturing Effects on Tensile Strength of Marine Grade Sandwich Composite Panel Joints,” Journal of Sandwich Structures and Materials, accepted for publication (2018).