Miltiades Zacas, Ph.D., P.E.
FGS/CMT Fessenden Geo-Environmental Services / Construction Materials Testing
136 Maine Ave., Bangor, ME 04402
Tel. 207.947.3184 or 1.877.268.8378
Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering
Paisley College of Technology (now University of the West of Scotland-UWS), United Kingdom
M.S. Studies in Rock Mechanics,
University of Karlsruhe, Institute for Soil and Rock Mechanics, Germany
B.S. Civil Engineering
National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), Greece
CIE 210 – Sustainability in Engineering
Dr. Zacas has over 30 years of experience in geotechnical investigation, design and consultancy on various projects in Maine and internationally (Greece, Saudi Arabia & Somalia). He served for 14 years as Managing Partner of “Pangaea Consulting Engineers, Ltd.” a geotechnical engineering company in Athens, Greece. Dr. Zacas’ diverse experience includes geotechnical services in a variety of projects such as, bridges, dams, tunnels, harbors, highways and buildings. He served as consultant for dam projects for the Greek Ministry of Irrigation and Agriculture and for tunnel projects for the Greek Ministry of Public Works and Environment. Since joining FGS/CMT, inc. (Bangor, Maine) in 2004 as Geotechnical Engineering Consultant, he has provided design, management and consultancy on numerous geotechnical engineering projects throughout Maine.
- Geotechnical investigation, design & consultancy on tunneling in soft and hard rock. Consultant for design and construction of tunnels after NATM
- Design & consultancy for small and large earth & rock-fill dams and lined (with geomembranes) reservoirs.
- Design and construction supervision of shallow foundations, drilled shafts and diaphragm walls.
- Design, construction supervision and consultancy on soil improvement (vibrotreatment, vibroflotation, dynamic compaction) soil stabilization (lime, cement) and soil reinforcement (nailing, reinforced earth, grouting, jet grouting, geosynthetics).
- Design and consultancy on slope stability and stabilization.
- Design of Earth Retention Systems (anchored walls, braced excavations, anchored slopes, MSE Walls and segmental walls, etc.).
- Geotechnical engineering for landfill design.
- Recommendations for roadway and pavement design and construction
- Earthwork recommendations and specifications. Ground water control and dewatering systems analysis. Design of filter materials and geosynthetic filters.
- Geotechnical engineering, design and consultancy for design-build projects (embankments, excavations, ground improvement, tunneling) implementing “The Observational Method (OM)” for better risk management, quality control and effective overall geotechnical management of projects.
- REIK,G.und ZACAS,M. (1975) Modelluntersuchungen zum Festigkeits– und Deformationsverhalten Gekluefteten Felsmassesn, SFB77, Jahresbericht 1975, Insitute for Soil and Rock Mechanics, University of Karlsruhe.
- ZACAS, M, (1977) Creep behaviour of a slope in schistose rocks, Proc. INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON THE GEOTECHNICS OF STRUCTURALLY COMPLEX FORMATIONS, Capri, Vol. 1, p.p. 469-470.
- REIK, G. and ZACAS, M. (1978) Strength and deformation characteristics of jointed media in true triaxial compression, INTER. J. ROCK MECH, MIN. SCI., Vol. 15, p.p. 295-303.
- ZACAS, M. and KNOX, W.R.A. (1980) Behaviour of multilayered rock masses with weak inclusions, Proc. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON STRUCTURAL FOUNDATIONS ON ROCK, Australia, Sydney, p.p. 201-208.
- KNOX, W.R.A. and ZACAS, M. (1983) The engineering behaviour of jointed rock mass models composed of weak and strong strata, QUTL. J. ENGNG, GEOLOGY, Vol. 16, No. 2, p.p. 127-134.
- ZACAS, M. and ANDRIKOPOULOU, K. (1988) Correlations of CPT, SPT and Laboratory tests in River Deposits, Proc, 1st Hellenic Conference on Geotechnical Engineering, Athens, Vol. 1, p.p. 125-129 (in Greek).
- KAZILIS, N. and ZACAS, M. (1988) Engineering geology of Nisyros Castle and its impact in stabilizing the cliffs of Panagia Spiliani Monastery in Nisyros Island, Greece, Proc. INTRNL, SYMP. ON ENGINEERING GEOLOGY AS RELATED TO THE STUDY, PRESERVATION AND PROTECTION OF ANCIENT WORKS, MONUMENTS AND HISTORICAL SITES, Athens, 19-23 September, vol. 1, p.p. 101-104.
- ANGELIDIS C., KOUMANTAKIS I., ZACAS M. (1993) “Contribution to the modelling of a new classification system of rock mass, concerning superficial works”, EUROROCK ’93, 21-24 June, Portugal, p.p. 461-466.
- ZACAS M. and PAPADOPOULOS D. (1994) “The influence and contribution of the Geological conditions on the Design of the Spillway Tunnel of Platanovryssi Dam”, Seminar “TunnelS and Underground Works Geology: Greek Experience” organized by the Greek Geological Association – Greek Committee of Technical Geology, Athens 10-11 Feb, p.p. 229-233 (in Greek).
- ZACAS M. (1995) “On filters and drains in dams”, Seminar on GEOTECHNICAL DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF DAMS WITH LINED RESERVOIRS, Technical Chamber of Greece, 20-21 March, Athens (in Greek).
- ZACAS M., KAVVADAS M., MIHALIS I. (1995) “The use of recording drilling parameters in rock mass characterisation” 8th INT. CONGRESS ON ROCK MECHANICS, Tokyo, Japan, Vol. 3, p.p. 1121-1121.
- CHRISTODOULIAS D.J., DOVAS A., TSATSANIFOS C. & ZACAS M., (1998) “Treatment of marshy area with lime for reclamation purposes in NW Greece”,8th INT. IAEG CONGRESS, Vancouver, Canada, p.p. 2537-2549.
- ZACAS M. & RAHANIOTIS N. (2000) “NATM on the Patras ring road”, Tunnels & Tunnelling, Jan. 2000, p.p. 21-22.
- ZACAS M. & RAHANIOTIS N.,(2000) “Tunnelling with NATM in neogen marls”, ISRM – EUROCK 2000 SYMPOSIUM, Germany, Aachen March 2000, p.p. 535-540.
- ZACAS M.K., RAHANIOTIS N.A., VANDOLAS V.O., TZIMA K., (2003) “Ensuring behavioural requirements of tunnelling through natural and man-made ground by employing the Observational Method”, INT. SYMP. ON GEOTECHNICAL MEASUREMENTS AND MODELLING, Karlsruhe, Germany, Sept. 2003, pp 117-126.
- VANDOLAS V., ZACAS M., RAHANIOTIS N., TZIMA K., TSATSANIFOS C. (2006) “SG Tunnel of Patras City Ring Road”, Proc, 5tH Hellenic Conference on Geotechnical AND GEOENVIRONMENTAL Engineering, XANTHI, GREECE, (in Greek).