Bill Davids, Ph.D, P.E.
Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering
John C. Bridge Professor
105A Boardman Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Ph.D. – Civil/Structural Engineering
University of Washington, 1998.
M.S. – Civil/Structural Engineering
University of Maine, 1991.
B.S. – Civil Engineering
University of Maine, 1989.
CIE 440 Structural Analysis I
CIE 442 Reinforced Concrete Design
CIE 548 Bridge Engineering
CIE 549 Numerical Methods in Engineering
CIE 640 Advanced Structural Analysis
Bill’s primary research interests are in the areas of wood mechanics and engineered wood composites, bridge engineering, inflatable structures, and the analysis of concrete and asphalt pavements. His research projects often encompass both experimental work and the development of problem-specific numerical analysis techniques. He has significant expertise in computational structural mechanics and numerical methods, which he has applied to areas ranging from the structural analysis of inflatable fabric arches to the development of software for the finite-element analysis of concrete and asphalt pavements. Bill is the primary developer of EverFE, a software package for the linear and nonlinear 3D finite element analysis of jointed plain concrete pavements that couples a highly interactive graphical user interface and object-oriented C++ finite element code. Bill has also co-developed the program EverStressFE, a 3D finite-element analysis program for flexible pavements that incorporates a variety of advanced analysis and unique visualization capabilities. Bill is a registered Professional Engineer in the State of Maine, and gained four years of professional experience as a structural bridge engineer with Sverdrup Corporation (now Jacobs Engineering) in their Seattle office.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Loring, H.B., Davids, W.G. (2015). “Mechanically Fastened Composite Strips for Flexural Strengthening of Concrete Beams.” Construction and Building Materials (in press).
- Parlin, N.J., Davids, W.G., Nagy, E. and Cummings, T. (2014). “Dynamic Response of Lightweight Wood-Based Flexible Wall Panels to Blast and Impulse Loading.” Construction and Building Materials, 50: 237-245.
- Luszczki, G., Clapp, J., Davids, W. and Lopez-Anido, R. (2013). “Withdrawal capacity of plain, annular shank and helical shank nail fasteners in spruce-pine-fir lumber.” Forest Products Journal 63(5/6): 213:220.
- Davids, W.G., Poulin, T.J. and Goslin, K.G. (2013). “Finite-Element Analysis and Load Rating of Flat Slab Concrete Bridges.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 18(10): 946-956.
- Dagher, H.J., Bannon, D.J., Davids, W.G., Lopez-Anido, R.L., Nagy, E. and Goslin, K. (2012). “Bending Behavior of Concrete-Filled Tubular FRP Arches for Bridge Structures.” Construction and Building Materials, 37: 432-439.
- Brayley, K.E., Davids, W.G. and Clapp, J.D. (2012). “Bending Response of Externally Reinforced, Inflatable, Braided Fabric Arches and Beams.” Construction and Building Materials, 30: 50-58.
- Lagaňa, R., Davids, W.G., Muszyński, L., Shaler, S.M. (2011). “Moment-Curvature Analysis of Coupled Bending and Mechano-sorptive Response of Red Spruce Beams.” Wood and Fiber Science, 43(3): 280-292. (Winner of both the 2012 1st place George Marra Award from the SWST and the 2012 LJ Markwardt Wood Engineering Award from the FPS.)
- Davids, W.G., Rancourt, D.G. and Dagher, H.J. (2011). “Bending Performance of Composite Wood I-Joist/OSB Panel Assemblies.” Forest Products Journal, 61(3): 246-256.
- Kabche, J.P., Peterson, M.L. and Davids, W.G. (2011). “Effect of Inflation Pressure on the Constitutive Response of Coated Woven Fabrics Used in Airbeams.” Composites Part B: Engineering, 42: 526-537.
- Alvarez-Valencia, D., Dagher, H.J., Davids, W.G. Lopez-Anido, R.A. and Gardner, D.J. (2010). “Structural Performance of Wood Plastic Composite Sheet Piling.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 22(12): 1235-1243.
- Silva-Henriquez, R., Gray, H., Dagher, H.J. Davids, W.G. and Nader, J. (2010). “Strength Performance of Prestressed GFRP-Glulam Beams.” Forest Products Journal, 60(1): 33-39.
- Nagy, E.N., Landis, E. and Davids, W.G. (2010). “Acoustic Emission Measurements and Lattice Simulations of Microfracture Events in Spruce.” Holzforschung, 64: 455-461.
- Davids, W.G., Sandford, T., Ashley, S., DeLano, J. and Lyons, C. (2010). “Behavior of Integral Abutment Bridges with Short Steel Pile-Supported Abutments.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 15(1): 32-43.
- Davids, W.G. (2009). “In-Plane Load-Deflection Response and Buckling of Inflated Fabric Arches.” Journal of Structural Engineering, 135(11): 1320-1329.
- Malm, C.G., Davids, W.G., Peterson, M.L. and Turner, A.W. (2009). “Experimental Characterization and Finite Element Analysis of Inflated Fabric Beams.” Construction and Building Materials, 23(5): 2027-2034.
- Davids, W.G. and Zhang, H. (2008). “Beam Finite-Element for Nonlinear Analysis of Pressurized Fabric Beam-Columns.” Engineering Structures, 30(7): 1969-1980.
- Turner, A.M., Kabche, J.P., Peterson, M.L., Davids, W.G. (2008). “Tension/Torsion Testing of Inflatable Fabric Tubes.” Experimental Techniques, 32(2): 47-52.
- Davids, W.G., Nagy, E. and Richie, M.C. (2008). “Fatigue Behavior of Composite-Reinforced Glulam Bridge Girders.” Journal of Bridge Engineering, 13(2): 183-191.
- Davids, W.G. (2007). “Finite-Element Analysis of Pressurized Fabric Tubes Including Pressure Effects and Local Fabric Wrinkling.” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 44: 24-33.
- Davids, W.G., Zhang, H., Turner, A. and Peterson, M. (2007). “Beam Finite-Element Analysis of Pressurized Fabric Tubes.” Journal of Structural Engineering, 133(7): 990-998.