Aaron Gallant, Ph.D., P.E.
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
311 Boardman Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5711
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, 2014
M.S. Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, 2011
B.S. Civil Engineering, Tufts University, 2009
CIE 460 – Introduction to Geotechnical Engineering
CIE 598 – Geostructures I – Foundations
CIE 598 – Geostructures II – Earth Retention Systems
Combining theory and practice to reconcile observed performance and behavior of natural landforms, geo-materials, and subsurface infrastructure. Skills and experience include:
- Monitoring performance of geo-structures and ground behavior
- Evaluating constitutive behavior of saturated and unsaturated sediments in the laboratory
- Analytical and numerical analyses of coupled mechanical processes
Continuing and emerging interest include:
- Ground improvement/stabilization, including blast densification and column-supported embankments
- Behavior of gassy/unsaturated sediments and resiliency to instabilities during extreme events and dynamic loading
- Soil-structure interaction
- Gallant, A.P., Shatnawi, E. (2018). “Influence of soil-column interaction at depth on performance of column-supported fill embankments.” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, (submitted).
- Gallant, A.P., Finno, R.J. (2017). “Measurement of gas released during blast densification.” Geotech. Test. J., ASTM, 40(6) 1011-1025.
- Gallant, A.P., Finno, R.J. (2016). “Stress redistribution after blast densification.” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, 142(11), 04016064, 1-11.
- Finno, R.J., Gallant, A.P., Sabatini, P. (2016). “Evaluating ground improvement after blast densification: performance at the Oakridge Landfill.” J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., ASCE, 142(1), 04015054, 1-13. (*Selected by the editor as an ASCE Smart Brief)
- Mahmoodi Chanzab, B., Gallant, A.P., Mason, H.B. (2019). “Stability of unsaturated sand beds in the tidal zone during tsunami loading.” Proc. GeoCongress 2019, GSP, ASCE, Philadelphia, PA (submitted).
- Cortes-Garcia, L., Landon, M., Gallant, A.P. (2019). “Assessment of helical anchor capacity in marine clays for aquaculture applications.” Proc. GeoCongress 2019, GSP, ASCE, Philadelphia, PA (submitted).
- Sloan, J.A., McGuire, M.P., Gallant, A.P. (2019). “Load displacement compatibility method for design of column-supported embankments: comparison to case histories.” Proc. GeoCongress 2019, GSP, ASCE, Philadelphia, PA (submitted).
- Gallant, A.P., Shatnawi, E., Farouz, E., Jones, T. (2018). “A case study of settlement and load transfer at depth beneath column-supported embankments.” Proc. International Foundations Congress and Equipment Exposition, ASCE, GSP, Orlando, FL.
- Finno, R.J., Gallant, A.P. (2016). “Effects of gas on blast densification verification.” Korean Geotechnical Society Awards Lecture, Proc. of the Annual Meeting of the Korean Geotechnical Society, KGS, Seoul, Korea.
- Finno, R.J., Denby, G., Zapata-Medina, D.G., Gallant, A.P. (2011). “Effects of construction-induced stress changes on dynamic shear modulus of Bootlegger Cove clay.” Proc. of 2011 NSF Engineering Research and Innovation, Atlanta, GA.